Y1 Abi Longstaff Class
Our literacy work this year will be based on quality children’s books including Naughty Bus by Jan and Jerry Oke and Cave Baby by Julia Donaldson. We will use the texts to identify the features of sentences including punctuation (capital letters, full stops, question marks and exclamation marks). Using these texts we will be creating stories, non-fiction work and poetry. In phonics we will continue to learn new sounds for reading and writing and will be focussing on reading high frequency words.
In maths we will be covering all areas – addition, subtraction, multiplication and addition, place value, measure and shape and direction. Our focus this year is reasoning and children being able explain how they have worked out the answer.
These are our science questions:
- How do the seasons impact on what we do?
- Why does it get darker earlier in the winter?
- Why are humans not like tigers?
- Which birds and plants would Little Red Riding Hood find in our park?
- Which materials should the Three Little Pigs have used to build their house?
These are our humanities questions:
- Where do and did the wheels on the bus go?
- Where do the leaves go in the winter?
- History - Beatles and one direction
- why cant a meerkat live in the North Pole?
- Why is the Wii more fun than grandad and grandmas' toys?
- What has changed since our grandparents were young?