Home Learning and In School Learning Provision
Jan & Feb 2021 during the partial school closure period
Biggin Hill Primary School ensures that our provision for children learning both at home and in school during the partial school closure period is of a very high standard and quality. For our children learning at home and in school, we are committed to providing the best possible experience for all of our learners that considers their well being needs as well as their academic ones.
During this time when many pupils are learning at home, we will be using our Google Suite to deliver virtual lessons via Google Meet. Learning activities and supporting materials will be set via Google Classrooms. Our in school learners will be accessing the same quality work and resources as children learning at home. Teaching staff will deliver live lessons for both English and Maths to all learners - whether they are at home or at school.
Please find below a summary of both our Home Learning and In School Learning Provision.
Home Learning Provision
- A daily ‘Good Morning’ message will be posted by the teacher to the Google Classroom Stream which will lay out expectations for the day.
- Two live lessons a day - one English and one Maths.
- Work for the day that relates to all areas of the curriculum and mirrors the learning that is taking place in school.
- All work on the Google Classroom will be scheduled the night before, organised by day and labelled by subject, topic and date. Work will come with instructions to follow and refer to resources, powerpoints, videos and websites to assist children and enable them to be more independent.
- Most work will be both editable on screen and printable, although some work will of course be practical in its nature and will not be computer/paper based. For editable work, the school will be using the ‘Kami’ app. Instructions about how to use this are on the Google classroom stream.
- All work handed in will be acknowledged by the teacher and misconceptions will be addressed.
- A weekly video that sets out a learning challenge related to another subject from the curriculum will be posted by the teacher.
- A daily physical/PE challenge.
In School Learning Provision
- Normal teaching and learning is taking place with children being taught as they were in the autumn term; covering all aspects of the curriculum for their year group.
- Children will be taught by a teacher from their year group. An LSA will be in the year group to provide additional learning support.
- All lessons in school will ‘mirror’ the Home Learning Provision and children will access the same learning activities as children at home.
- Children learning in school and at home will come together virtually ‘as one’ via Google Meet for live Literacy and Numeracy lessons twice a day (teachers will deliver the lesson to both groups of children at the same time).
- Children will receive specialist PE teaching and some year groups will have specialist Computing teaching and Forest School.
- All work will be marked by the teacher and feedback will be provided as per our marking policy.
For all children, both Home Learning and In School Learning:
Enrichment for Children:
- A weekly assembly - pre-recorded.
- Celebration assembly to be held on a Friday virtually for both in school and home learners over Google Meet - this gives children the opportunity to celebrate successes together as one.
- Stories will be uploaded twice a week to our YouTube channel for children to enjoy.
- Children will receive a weekly electronic Newsletter ‘Chatterbox’ each Monday. This will include a message from the head teacher, a fun wellbeing activity, examples of excellent home learning and some other fun articles.
- Teachers can award a ‘Chatterbox Post Card’ for amazing work for both home learners and in school learners.
- Children learning at home will have the opportunity to participate in Pupil Voice, as they would in school, if it's their allocated year group session.
Support for all our families:
- A member of SLT will always be available to speak to - please just telephone the office and leave a message or email us directly.
- Children and teachers will communicate regularly via the Google Stream and parents and carers can contact teachers via their school emails.
- The support of our Family Support Worker and Inclusion Assistant, if required
- Families where children do not have provision to access the Google Classroom (for children learning at home) have been invited to let us know so we can assist where required.
We aim to keep parents / carers updated and informed about everything that is happening in school via our normal school communications, weekly newsletter and, from time to time inclusion, curriculum and safeguarding bulletins.
We are here for all our families and children, and have a dedicated Family Support Worker and Inclusion Assistant who can offer support, guidance and advice on inclusion and wellbeing matters. A member of the Senior Leadership Team will always be available to speak to - just let us know if you need anything!
In a recent survey conducted with our parents and carers on our Home School Learning Offer, 62.5% thought that our Home Learning Offer was excellent and 34% thought our Home Learning Offer was good. We are delighted with these results, however, your feedback at any time is very welcomed.
We aim to try to make learning as accessible and as helpful as it can possibly be whilst also delivering a high standard of education to children at home. We continue to strive to make our provision for all learners the very best it can be!
If you would like any more information, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Acting Head Teacher
Thank you for visiting our website.
Pride in all that we do