YR Emily Gravett Class
Welcome to Reception! The children have been working really hard at becoming more independent learners.
This half term our topic will be 'Celebrations Around the World'. The children will be learning about:
- Harvest - We will be reading The Little Red Hen and also baking bread!
- Diwali - We will learn the story of Rama & Sita, discuss who celebrates Diwali and making salt dough diya lamps.
- Remembrance - We will create a wreath for Remembrance and discuss why we wear poppies.
- Hanukkah - We will be discussing who celebrates Hanuakkah and Jewish Festival of Light
- Christmas - We will learn about the Christian beliefs. We will also be writing letters to Father Christmas and discussing the different traditions people have at home during this time.
We also have Anti-Bullying Week this half term. We will be using the book Supertato and focusing on being kind to others. In PE we will be practising dance and movement. This will involve the children moving in different ways, listening to music and moving in time.
In maths we will practise counting and forming numbers to 10, counting out amounts and recognising one more and one less. We will also be learning about 2D and 3D shapes.
Phonics is now in smaller groups - each group will be learning different sounds at different rates. We have phonics groups on the google classroom for you to access where the group teacher will tell you all about what we have learnt that week and what you can do at home.
We are also begin to learn our tricky words. These are words that we can't sound out and just have to read by sight. When spelling them we use the letter names. We listen to the 'tricky words song' for phase 2.
Here are the links below:
We are encouraging the children to become more independent at school. This includes; sorting what needs to go where in the mornings e.g. water bottles, reading books, snacks etc. and with getting themselves dressed. Please encourage this at home too.
Please have a look at our class gallery to see what we have been up too! Also keep a look out on the class stream for updates and reminders.